Culture & History
Rilin Colloquial Expressions
- Happy New Year — salɪs βø mems!
- farewell, goodbye (for a longer time) — damaiɣa
- see you later — tʃata
- till tomorrow — jɛnla ni!
- be well, take care — nijɛ na
- how are you? (assuming a state of wellness) — nijɛ li/xy/zana?
- how are you? (assuming a bad state of being) — ʃuki li/xy/zana?
- feel better! — nijɛo li/xy/zana!
- take it easy — bɛ paka
- hurry up! come on! get with it! — paka na!
- alright! that’s great!; more, more! — ɛɾiŋa ɛɾiŋa!
- that sucks — fa dʌnun (lit. ‘It’s bitter’)
- no luck; bad news — zazɛm zɛʂ (lit. ‘Dry inkwell’)
Other slang terms:
- ziɾu (lit. snake) — a very quiet or low-key person
- xaʃβø (lit. plunder, steal) — beat, be victorious over
- webym (lit. toe) — child, kid
- ʌʃ (lit. flat) — sexually uninterested
- vi (lit. being, entity) — lover
- ulo (lit. shoulder) — behind-the-scenes benefactor
- tyŋa (from tyŋɛk (fiery-tongued) — sexually enthusiastic; sexually dominant
- tʃa (lit. deep) — cool, nice
- vy tsutla (lit. some syrup) — a silly, vapid person (“Fa vy tsutla, la na?”)
- tsatsa — a bisexual person, usually a man (this isn’t necessarily derogatory)
- mulaifi — someone who is generally easy-going, laid-back, or flexible
- ɸiti (lit. stable) — good, satisfactory
- vɛs (lit. insane) — amazing, interesting
- kikik (lit. present, current) — confusing, weird
- biʂas a moi! (lit. debt and deceit!) — that’s too bad, ah man!, that sucks
- ʃɪliæ (lit. sprinkled, dispersed) — obnoxiously trendy; chintzy
- uga (lit. dough) — crap, stuff, things
- mʌ (lit. duckling) — naïve or inexperienced person
- koxa (lit. hard alcohol) — something that is very rough or destructive
- men (lit. land that is owned, property) — pad, place, hideout
- axɛla (lit. laugh (v. intr.)) — cheat
- ve (lit. light) — life
- biʂua (lit. lullaby) — something insignificantly easy or unchallenging
- tʃɪmɬʌ (lit. mash, goo) — a sycophant
- lutɾɛ (lit. an important man) — asshole, bastard, jerk
- døxɪn (lit. saccharine, mawkish) — trashy, stupid
- aima (lit. meaning, sense) — malicious plot
- ifa (lit. narrow) — painful
- nyn (lit. naked) — truthful